[Magdalen] The Deen controversy

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 11:44:17 PDT 2014

I spent a couple of years in a (UCC) church-related college. We had more
than our share of PKs, and one of the things I learned about was something
referred to there as "PK Syndrome", which seemed to be the desire of said
PKs to prove that they were indeed NOT the goody-goody types they were
perceived to be. This was often borne out by them being some of the
hardest-drinking, wildest, most foul-mouthed kids on campus. But the real
shock came when one of them, with his two non-PK roommates, was arrested
the summer between my freshman and sophomore years, for robbing a liquor
store. Talk about your major shock! Rather than being kicked out of school,
which would have happened under the previous administration, they were
brought back, forgiven, and readmitted on probation after their trial.
IIRC, since the robbery never actually took place (it was interrupted by
cops before it could actually happen) and was a first offense for all
three, they got off with some kind of probation. Anyhow, they were all
seriously subdued thereafter.