[Magdalen] travel mercies

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 12:20:45 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:00 PM, Don Boyd <thedonboyd at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I love the thought of hearing Sacred Harp sung in British English.

When the Brits began singing Sacred Harp more than20 years ago, you could
tell they were British. More than a few of them have been to the US camp.
Now, you can barely tell. In Sheffield, there were12 countries represented
and  100+ singers.

> Did the Poles sing in English or in Polish translation?

We sang from the 1991 Sacred Harp, sometimes referred to as the Denson
book. The Poles, Germans, Norse, Swedish, Israeli, Czechs, Hungarians sing
from the standard book at their home singings. The Poles and Germans have
been trying to write some of their own music in this style and are not
doing too badly. I wrote a tune for the first European camp 2 years ago and
they are still singing it. Do hope to get a Polish translation sometime. I
did one for the Irish singers the next year. After the 3rd Irish Convention
2 years ago, we did a demonstration in Cork's St Fin Barre Cathedral. If
you go to youtube and search for Cork Sacred Harp, it's not hard to find.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

http//:pdanbrittain.com
 <http://pdanbrittain.com>* <http://pdanbrittain.com/>*
Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles
Commissions accepted