[Magdalen] GTS

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 30 07:55:35 PDT 2014

> Anyone who expects a collaborative approach to governance  is not really
> being realistic.

Let me suggest a contrarian view . . .

I suspect that underlying all this is the realization that the faculty did not
seem to have much to contribute in the previous collaborative management, which
is no longer there because the problems could no longer be ignored or swept
under the rug.

There's often strong resistance to change among those affected by it; that the
faculty could not come up with a strategic vision when they had the chance, and
now have been faced with like it or lump it may trigger lots of sympathy, but it
may be misplaced.

And the "strike" seems to have a certain element of "We're going to hold our
breath until you stop being so mean!"

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie