[Magdalen] Religion on Campus.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 09:08:45 PDT 2014

A blurb from my Alma Mater, UW-Madison cited that of the
current UW-Madison student body of 43,000, about 10,000 of them are
Roman Catholics.  Episcopalians number less than 1,000.

Obviously a large percentage do not attend religious services,
however.  Saint Paul's University Catholic Church, a poured
concrete bunker straight out of the cliffs of Normandy and which
replaced a neogothic structure, couldn't possibly handle all of
them, and tiny Saint Francis House Chapel (TEC) is woefully
inadequate, the SFH church structure associated having been torn
down and replaced by a rental apartment building last year.

I won't elaborate on the fate of the exquisite stone neogothic
building at the edge of the Wisconsin Campus used by the
LCMS.  Suffice it to say it's replaced by a concrete bookstore.

When one stood at the Lincoln Memorial at the top of Bascom
Hill on campus and looked eastward toward the towering dome
of the Wisconsin State Capitol, there were a cluster of lovely
gothic towers framing the Capitol.  There's one remaining:
"Pres House" not currently being used for (Presbyterian) student
worship. The tower is modeled after All Saints Pavement  in York,
England.  I hope it can last!

David Strang.