[Magdalen] End of an Era.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 13:09:42 UTC 2015

In a message dated 4/1/2015 8:55:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

St.  Chrysostom's, Chicago, still has MP as the main service twice a
month.>>>

I think you'll find parishes filling specialty niches in very large  cities.

Unfortunately for those who want a regular dose of Choral Morning
Prayer, there is nothing available to my knowledge in the  Metropolitan
Twin Cities of Minnesota.

As I mentioned, this is a complete reversal of the situation 50 years
ago.  I think that younger generations probably have only a dim
idea of the magnitude of change.

50 years ago, there were only two parishes in MN where Eucharistic
vestments were used - Gethsemane at the edge of downtown Minneapolis
only celebrated the Eucharist once per month, but when they did, they
used the chasuble, and, of course, the now closing Saint Paul's  on-the-Hill
in Saint Paul used chasuble, dalmatic, and tunicle.

St. Mark's Cathedral in Minneapolis had a single chasuble belonging  to
the long time Dean of the 50's, and 60's (a Welshman) FRAMED in
one of the hallways near the coffee room.  The only other  chasubles
were always said to be in the figures at the base of the high altar
great stained glass "Ascension" window.  Ditto with mitres.   Minnesota
bishops were in magpies all the way.

And there are many other TEC dioceses with similar stories.

David Strang.