[Magdalen] End of an Era.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:08:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 9:59 AM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:
> We had MP rite I a couple of weeks ago and it hasn't worn
> well. It felt scuffed, frayed.

Always interesting to me to see old bulletins from MP days to see how
things were done when it was the familiar thing. Big processional
hymn, all the penitential material, psalm said responsively by verse,
often one choral canticle and one chanted congregationally in Anglican
chant; sermon in one of several possible positions in the liturgy; big
doings at the offertory including doxology and patriotic verse (maybe
flags); big anthem after the collects (like Wesley's Ascribe unto the
Lord).

I remember going to Christ Church Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.)
for Morning Prayer and the highlight for me being the congregational
chanting of Te Deum. Lots of kneeling on hassocks...I still remember
the swishing sound made when all the hassocks were being pulled out
from under the next pew. Also remember falling off the
hassocks...ouch. And everyone in smart business dress. Every man in a
dark suit, for one thing. (Not saying that's something I miss...just
what it was like then in that parish.)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA