[Magdalen] End of an Era.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:41:23 UTC 2015

Jim G> Until the 1960s (when many parishes were booming and now have that
virtually
empty Sunday School Building completed in 1964)

We make assumptions about our  church around the US quite glibly... there
are many TEC churches that are still erecting buildings to enlarge their
campus in many places.

I've begun to think of the church as it varies all over as a subset of the
way our country is headed... for a century we moved - first westward
expansion, free land, undeveloped wilderness, then post WW2 expansion again,
driven by employment, growth of the middle class, booming economy. Now our
population has doubled, probably several times since 1900 and many people
are stuck in the state they're living in, just as the state's rights
movement with the conservatives (IMO) is gaining momentum.   Like me - stuck
in TX where we suck the Federal tit, and then scream about Federal
interference. Some states have balanced leadership and constituency, others,
not so much. The Tea Party here drinks this TX flavor-aid like it's a magic
potion for success. Meanwhile, I'd move, if I could, but like so many people
who find themselves in a state that may not give them any breathing room for
their own views, I'm suffocating here.  Our once every 18 months legislature
is in session with a Governor and Asst. Governor and a Republican majority.
Their first bill decreased the number of people needed to take a bill to the
vote, and so they've pretty much sewed up getting anything/everything they
want in this session to a vote without floor discussion, unless some of
their number are brave enough to stand up and vote against some of the bad
and many times stupid stuff that's on our budget and bill table.  We now
have open carry anywhere, including college campuses... and we're well on
our way to approving some more disasters.

My email has changed to: houstonKLR at gmail.com

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck