[Magdalen] Tenebrae

Eleanor Braun eleanor.braun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 00:59:24 UTC 2015

The Tenebrae service at St. Mary's in Barnstable, MA was most interesting.

The basic notion of the diminishing light, by extinguishing candles, was
kept.  But the thrust of the message was directly related both to Holy Week
and to the lives of the youth who designed the service.  We had readings
from scripture and music from contemporary culture that underlined the
darkness that descended on Jesus during Holy Week.  But at the same time
the themes of the readings and music were also issues confronted by young
people, and by all people throughout their lives:  oppression (for being
different); betrayal; loneliness; despair; accusation; judgment; death.
The service ended, as is traditional, with Psalm 51, the hidden candle, the
loud noise, and the exit in silence and darkness.

One of my housemates has a 14 year old grandson who is experiencing pretty
much all of these issues, so there was some heavy duty praying for him
going on during this service.

Eleanor