[Magdalen] Two to go

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 4 22:14:34 UTC 2015

On 04/04/2015 22:05, Jim Guthrie wrote:
>> Acolytes  have always done all that "subdeacon" stuff in every parish
>> I've
>> ever been  in. Am I hopelessly low church? If so, I'll take it.>>>
>
> Sub deacons at St Mary the Virgin -- and when I was in DC at St A&A
> and StPKSt were always priests or deacons.
>
> Scott mentioning that he Takes that role was the first time I had
> heard of this practice.

It isn't, and never was, one of the major orders so is quite appropriate
for a layperson.  When I was at seminary we were divided into groups who
went through training together.  Each week one group was responsible for
chapel services, officiating at the offices, reading, serving, etc.  For
the main College Eucharist five were required "on stage" including one
vested as subdeacon.

Roger