[Magdalen] Two to go

Joseph Cirou romanos at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 4 23:58:01 UTC 2015

In the Roman Church the order of subdeacon was suppressed in the 60's. Also
the custom of ordained clergy taking a role beneath the one to which they
were ordained has been discouraged in the Novus Ordo (Bishops, however, do
not always have to pontificate liturgically, priests, deacons and laypeople
are discouraged from otherwise pontificating.) However, there had been sort
of tradition of non ordained seminarians, at least, functioning as a
subdeacon. One of my classmates in the 50's and 60's was frequently called
upon to be the subdeacon. In many places the subdeacon became merely a
vested crucifer. In the Eastern Churches, altar servers are sometimes
vested in the subdeacon's orarion. I believe certain other Eastern Churches
that did not have an ordained diaconate had certain laymen vest as deacons,
but I am not sure. I remember the vested non ordained subdeacons. The
subdiaconate was not suppressed among the Eastern Catholics. We have 2
married deacons at St. John's. Both functioned as ordained subdeacons for
at least a year. After their ordination to the subdiaconate, their names
appeared on the masthead of the church bulletin.