[Magdalen] Alleluia, Christ is Risen!

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 17:07:27 UTC 2015

Lutherans, at least in New Market, VA, don't do Vigil. They do a sunrise
service. I don't. I did, however, do the Festival Service at 11 am, and it
was glorious. For a small church, we rock it pretty hard! Brass quartet and
all. Lots of good music, although the Gospel Procession hymn. "This
Glorious Eastertide", fell flatter than a wet matzoh...I think I was one of
about 3 people outside of the choir that knew it and sang; everyone else
looked perplexed, and the others that sang were also displaced
Episcopalians. We got to sing "Thine's All the Glory" and one of the
communion hymns was my favorite, "Good Christian Friends, Rejoice and
Sing." The Lutherans haven't managed to change the words to "Jesus Christ
is Risen Today", mirabile dictu! And this was the anthem, amazingly well
done by our little choir of a dozen (plus the aforementioned brass). I love
the words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TygzRjinL8&list=PLnB1NmU6oXR3GArJuYQND6Yl3ewxaxvlp