[Magdalen] ++ Desmond Tutu

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 15:44:20 UTC 2015

Jim

May I let ++ Desmond Tutu speak on this matter. What an example to us  all

Blessings
Martin
---

Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, who led South Africa’s Truth and
Reconciliation Commission, says the release from prison of notorious apartheid
security police killer Eugene de Kock represents a milestone on South Africa’s
road to reconciliation and healing.
“I pray that those whom he hurt, those from whom he took loved  ones, will
find the power within them to forgive him. Forgiving is empowering  for the
forgiver and the forgiven – and for all the people around them. But we  can’
t be glib about it; it’s not easy,” Archbishop Tutu said.
De Kock commanded the security police death squad based at  Vlakplaas. He
was sentenced in 1996 to more than 200 years in prison for crimes  ranging
from fraud to assault, kidnapping, conspiracy to commit murder, culpable
homicide and murder.
“He committed hideous crimes on behalf of his political and  security force
masters. His arrest in 1994, and subsequent conviction, created  the
impression that the perpetrators of apartheid era crimes would be held
accountable.
“The Truth and Reconciliation Commission was established in 1996  as a
societal balm to begin the process of healing South Africa’s wounded soul.
Platforms were created for victims of apartheid-era violence to address the
nation, and for perpetrators to apply for amnesty in qualifying cases, provided
 they were found to have been truthful.
“But none of the security force members identified as perpetrators  of
human rights violations, none who were denied amnesty, and none who managed  to
avoid the TRC process altogether, were prosecuted. There was no follow
through.
“The fact that De Kock was to a large extent left to carry the  load of
apartheid security force evil on his own does not diminish his  culpability.
That fact is an indictment on our government.
“De Kock deserves to be released on the basis that he has served a
relatively lengthy term of imprisonment, he has apologised to and sought the
forgiveness of many of his victims, and he has for some time given all the
appearance (from what we have seen) of being ready for  rehabilitation.
“As human beings we have unique capacities to reconcile, to  forgive, to
move on and to love again. While many may not welcome De Kock back  into
society with open arms, the fact that we have allowed for his return is to  our
collective credit, as people and as a nation.”
Commenting on the failed application for medical parole by Clive
Derby-Lewis, the former Conservative Party leader serving a life sentence for  the
1993 assassination of South African Communist Party leader Chris Hani,
Archbishop Tutu described as “disappointing” reports that Derby-Lewis had shown
no remorse.
“Provided Derby-Lewis qualifies for medical parole, however, there  is no
question that he should be released. We must guard against creating the
impression that there is one set of rules applicable to some people, and another
 set of rules applicable to others. I loved Chris Hani very much and I
believe he  would have supported Derby-Lewis’ medical parole because he was
deeply committed  to the path of reconciliation.”