[Magdalen] Prayer Request Summary Easter 2

Kristin Rollins kristin at verumsolum.com
Mon Apr 13 21:49:45 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015, at 09:42 PM, L Ronkainen wrote:
> *+For all churches in the search process for new rectors:

Could you please add Emmanuel, Arnprior, ON to this list. I read that
yesterday it was announced that their rector will be retiring and his
last Sunday with them will be in June. This is the parish that I grew up
in and later returned as organist from 2006 until I moved to Virginia.
It is kind of funny, because I left Arnprior in 1995 when my father was
ordained for another diocese and I graduated from high school and went
off to college. When I returned in 2001 (to take an organ job at a
church of another denomination three blocks from Emmanuel), the rector
who had been there when I was in high school was still there. I think it
was a year or two later when he retired and was replaced with the
parish's first woman rector, who was the rector when I was hired. She
and I left at roughly the same time, so I only met this rector on one
visit home. But it is one of those events that helps me realize how long
it has been since I was there.

Coincidentally, I learned earlier today that one of the ministers who
had been with me at the church down the street from Emmanuel (who moved
to a different church an hour away around the time I moved to Virginia)
has announced that *she* is moving (though this one is much further
away).

It is funny the ways in which it can seem BOTH like I have been in the
US for only a short time but ALSO like I have been here forever.

> for
> our sister Kristin Rollins, dealing with "little bits and pieces of life
> just piling up on her"

I don't know what the best way is of figuring out where I am on things
now. Cash flow has been a source of stress the past month or so, but
some other things seem to be much more relaxed. But I'm not sure how
much of that is "relaxed because it's been swept under the carpet" more
than "relaxed because it is in perspective now."

A bit of out of the ordinary right now: Heather left yesterday afternoon
with a group from work to visit one of her employer's major clients. So
I am on my own here until probably after I am in bed Tuesday night
(unless I am too excited about her return to fall asleep at my usual
time).

I seem to have settled into my "church for now." I have never done the
church search thing in an area with so much choice in terms of
Anglican/Episcopal churches. The closest would have been when I went off
to college, but I did not have a driver's license then, so the realistic
options were fewer. (As it was, I latched onto the first church I walked
into then.) It's also not a time for a "forever" choice, for mutliple
reasons. This was also my "first choice" church. But I went back and
forth for a while between it and a previous parish. The previous parish
was comfortable enough, and I will definitely visit from time to time,
but it's a bit of a drive from where we live now. My "church for now"
may be too large for me after a while, but right now, some time in the
pews without particular responsibilities is just what the doctor
ordered. And this is a good place for that. But it feels really weird
for me to have been to a church four times and managed not to meet any
of the clergy yet! (Though that is mostly my choice, as I have
sidestepped the handshake line on my way out.)

So, not feeling as dark as it has been at times, but there are
significant external pressures and emotional reactions to deal with.

Kristin