[Magdalen] Spring has Sprung.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 19:30:40 UTC 2015

It's a gorgeous day here in the Pennsylvania Poconos, with sun and
temperature holding at 76 F.  It marks the first time since October  28th
that we had a temperature here above 70 F.

Though my English Ivy crawling up the trunk of a 60' Eastern White
Pine at the front of the house has once again turned brown, it will
probably bounce back as it did after last winter, also a cold one.   Other
than
the stray brown branches on other shrubs and trees, that so far  appears
to be the only notable casualty in the yard this year.

The larches, both American (Tamarack) and European, are budding
strongly, almost enlarging before the eyes.  There are strong  numbers
of fat rhododendron flower buds on both the Piedmont and native
(Rosebay) shrubs, and I hope they live up to their promise when they
open next month.

Ditto - the many native magnolia trees and Asian hybrid shrubs also
look healthy with swollen buds, and that includes some of the more
exotic species planted here.

Even the two Dawn Redwoods are budding strongly.  The Redwood
in the front yard is about 85' and has overtopped the native oaks.
No one quite knows how tall this species gets in "captivity."   They've
been planted worldwide only since the late 1940's.  After all,  their
relatives - the Coastal Redwood and the Big Tree/Sequoia - are noted
for their gigantic size.  I wish I could put a lightning rod on top  of
this tree to reduce the possible lightning damage.  It is the tallest  tree
in the development.

The thousand or more daffodils are starting to bloom, and though I  love
the various yellow, orange, and white varieties, I dearly wish we  could
plant tulips here.  The White Tailed Deer treat tulips as an exotic  feast.

David Strang.