[Magdalen] What's My Line? On Facebook and YouTube

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 01:41:35 UTC 2015

I've fallen in love with a Facebook group called What's My Line? (CBS). They have a YouTube channel with hundreds of the 800+ kinescope episodes. I learned from the group that a kinescope was a film of a TV screen playing the live show. Anyway, I love the world of gracious, convivial humor and the various regular panelists and how they did or didn't get along. And who doesn't love the wonderful star of stage and screen, Miss Arlene Francis? I don't love the audience's wolf whistles at the arrival of attractive female contestants. I did love loose-cannon panelist Hal Block's take on the show's sometime sponsor, Stopette Deodorant Spray: "Turn your armpit into a charmpit!"

Anyway, an episode of WML ends as I realize I've been smiling throughout the show, presided over by the mellifluous and affable John Charles Daly (who was father to four sons all called John).

Can't seem to find a link to the group on my iPad here, but the group name is exactly as given in the first line above. Closed group, but they'll let you in.

Sent from my iPad