[Magdalen] Arbor Day.

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Fri Apr 24 18:12:46 UTC 2015

Well, I didn't plant any trees today - with ~15 acres of trees, plus woods
all around us, it hardly seems necessary. In the past week I have, however,
moved several small apple trees into their permanent location, and grafted
three baby apple trees. Hopefully the grafts will take - my success rate
thus far hasn't been all that great.

There are, of course, lots & lots of trees here. Lots of trees, but not a
lot of variety. Of evergreens, we have tons of balsam fir, plus hemlock, red
spruce, and white pine. There are larches here, but not on my property.
Large hardwoods include sugar maple (of course!), red maple, beech, black
cherry, paper and yellow birch, and a few basswood. No oaks or black walnut,
although they probably would grow here if planted. Small deciduous trees
include quaking aspen (commonly called "popple" here), pin cherry, and
striped maple. That's about it for native trees.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com