[Magdalen] Anniversaries.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Apr 26 00:00:43 UTC 2015

There was an observance today at Gallipoli, Turkey for the 100th
anniversary
of the ill-fated Gallipoli Campaign of WW-1.  Prince Harry and his  father,
Prince Charles, were there, the former looking just a little pink, but the
latter
obviously suffering from both acute and chronic effects of too much  sun.
Don't the Royals have a "Royal Dermatologist" to remind them that too  much
sun is not their friend?

Having recently seen an AHC documentary of the Gallipoli Campaign, I
remembered the senseless slaughter of British plus Australians and  New
Zealanders while the Turks, on the high ground above just blasted the  life
out of thousands.  It hasn't been a good week for the Turks from a  Western
point of view, with the recent observance of the Armenian Genocide  meted
out by the Ottoman Turks just a hundred years ago as well.

This month is also the one-hundredth anniversary of the birth of my  oldest
brother, George.  He was a lawyer who practiced in a small town in  NW
Wisconsin (Barron), and I didn't get to know him as an adult since he
died (mesothelioma) at the age of 51 in 1966. I was, at the time, in  the
Army
Medical Corps in Germany.  George was a wonderful tenor, and I  have
dreams about singing with George during my vocal hey-day.  It was not  to
be a reality.

David Strang.