[Magdalen] Florence Foster Jenkins.

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 1 00:51:00 UTC 2015

Poor Florence!

I learned about the unintentionally hilarious FFJ in the 1950s from my organ teacher, who not only initiated me into the mysteries of Bach, Vierne, Durufle, Reger, and too many other ecclesiastical musicians to name, but also exposed this Texas country boy to (the intentionally hilarious) Anna Russell and the subversive Tom Lehrer.

Later I came across, and actually heard in performance, Victor Borge, whose musicianly comedy was of a somewhat different sort.

If there have been musical satirist/comedians practicing in this vein since Borge I've missed them.  Anybody know of later, or even current, performers of this ilk?

Don in Austin