[Magdalen] farro salad

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 03:27:13 UTC 2015

Sibyl>The unbleached part is all you really said "Slow Dough"
is (I know about trying to avoid non-iodine halogens in food, though my
thyroid doesn't seem to have speeded up any in all that time).

In my post that you copied below I wrote:
>> referred to at 'slow dough', which means it is not bleached and has no
>> bromides in it...  bromides in the body, including from other sources
>> such as anything treated with flame retardant, or in plastics that
>> off-gas can interfere with iodine absorption in the body. Here is some
>> interesting info:

snipped from:
http://www.livescience.com/36206-truth-potassium-bromate-food-additive.html

The flour used has no bromides. It is the bromides that cause the dough to
rise faster and what can interfere/block our iodine absorption (as you
referred to). I also have been buying Red Mill which I find is being sold
more widely since I discovered it several years ago.  Did you know they
email coupons from time to time from their site it you sign up?
Historically, bakers relied on oxygen in the air to form the molecular
bridges in dough — they "aged" flour after milling it by exposing it to open
air for weeks, and then slowly mixed the flour in dough, all the while
allowing ambient oxygen to do the hard work of bridge building.
But potassium bromate is a powerful oxidizing agent that chemically ages
flour much faster than open air. Potassium bromate bleaches dough, and
enhances its elasticity by strengthening its network of molecular bridges,
which makes for the formation of tiny, thin-walled bubbles as the bread
rises. The end product is fluffy, soft and unnaturally white.
Ideally, that end product is also entirely devoid of potassium bromate,
which changes to potassium bromide, a harmless byproduct, during baking.
In 1982, researchers in Japan published the first of a series of studies
showing that potassium bromate causes cancer in the thyroids, kidneys and
other body parts of rats and mice.
As a result of these findings, countries around the world banned the
additive, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration held back, in part
because the amount of potassium bromate that remains in bread after baking
should be negligible: less than 20 parts per billion (ppb).
According to information published by baking industry trade groups, it is
"well within the normal production control measures in any modern bakery to
ensure that bromate residues are well below 20 ppb."
However, whenever bromated flour isn't baked for long enough or at a high
enough temperature, or if too much potassium bromate is added in the first
place, this harmful additive can potentially be found in the final product
in far greater quantities.
Today, many small and commercial bakeries voluntarily avoid using bromated
flour. However, it's still found in many fast food buns and some flours,
among other products.
To avoid this additive, check ingredients lists for "potassium bromate" and
"bromated flour." Shoppers in California will have an easier time steering
clear of potassium bromate: since 1991, California law has required products
containing this additive to bear a warning on their labels.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr