[Magdalen] How do you buy a stove?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 3 17:38:31 UTC 2015

On 03/08/2015 16:28, ME Michaud wrote:
> A friend visited Mount Vernon and noticed the kitchen was in a separate
> building. Did the residents find the aromas of cooking so unpleasant they
> had to take the kitchen out of the house? he wondered. More likely that
> kitchens were hot and dangerous places that caught fire more than once in
> each person's lifetime.

I was used to that sirt of arrangement in historic houses in England so
wasn't surprised to see it in Mount Vernon when I visited.  They were
separate because of the risk of fire as well as the fact that they
needed a high ceiling so the cooks weren't working in a cloud of smoke.
Of course one downside was that you needed fast footmen to ferry the
food to the dining hall before it got cold.

Roger