[Magdalen] Central Aisle?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Aug 6 15:26:18 UTC 2015

I happened to be browsing some pictures of a church I occasionally
attended as a college student:  The Chicago Temple = First United  Methodist
Church of Chicago, in the Chicago Loop.

The church is unique in that it occupies the first few floors of a 22  story
skyscraper, and is surmounted by what is billed as the tallest church
tower in the world - some 569' - or so, depending on the  source site.

In any case the older pictures show no central church nave aisle, but
the later pictures show a central aisle.  I confirmed this with the  church.
They did carve a central aisle during refurbishing a few years ago.

My mother spearheaded such a change in my home town Methodist
church back in the 1950's.

The byline is always that it makes it better for the bride's  entrance.

OTOH, with the modern vogue for church-in-the-round, many would
criticize a central aisle as part of the over-triumphalism of fixed
pews and a central aisle.

Any opinions?

David S.