[Magdalen] Interesting Names Redux.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Aug 6 18:26:31 UTC 2015

Scott>And I love giving
> directions and saying welcome to Chicago, especially when I give good
> directions and don't realize later that I've given a wrong street name
> or some other confusing thing.

When we lived in Amityville, the woman cross the street from us (who ran a day
care center, had a son in Kuwait, and was former President of the Amityville
Chamber of Commerce) explained something important:

"Lots of people will pull over and ask directions to the "Amityville Horror"
house. What you do is point them north on County Line Road to the second traffic
light, and make a left. tell them to go three blocks and make a left. Then, at
the first street, make a right, and it's on the fifth house on the right."

I replied, ,"Well, that would send them into Massapequa."

Exactly -- that would be Joey Buttafuoco's house. You don’t want people gawking
at your neighbors here in Amityville, do you?"

Cheers,
Jim