[Magdalen] Do's and Don'ts.

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:09:23 UTC 2015

Having now spent 85% of my life in south Louisiana (which is hard to
believe, and even harder to admit), I have developed a particular
fondness for words like Tchoupitoulas and Natchitoches and the Faubourg
Marigny. And, jambalaya and etouffe and sauce piquant.

Like Lerner & Lowe's 'enry 'iggins, one can narrow down the parish (if
not Parish) of birth around here by pronunciation of certain words:
http://www.gumbopages.com/yatspeak.html

A family-favorite turn of phrase comes from Rory's toddler days, when in
an obvious attempt by a highly precocious child to avoid ending a
sentence with a preposition <grin>, he would ask for us to, "Open up it!"

Peace,
Jo