[Magdalen] the sound of words

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:07:11 UTC 2015

The local chapter of the DAR chose as its name, "Mahwenawasigh," the
original name given by the Indians to the Wappingers Creek.
Wappingers Creek is just south of Poughkeepsie (that's an interesting name
in itself).

Mah-we-na-wa-sigh signifying in the Indian tongue 'great body of foaming
water'.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nymahdar/FirstEndeavors.html

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford