[Magdalen] Dick's Farewell.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Aug 9 14:36:44 UTC 2015

Yesterday was another anniversary of President Richard Nixon's  resignation
on August 8, 1974.

This is one of those occasions when many remember where they were  when
they heard this news.

The event was actually a full day as it unfolded, filled with  reported
rumors and interviews, and didn't conclude until late in the day with  the
actual resignation.

I was in my robin's egg blue VW Squareback ("Variant") with my  ex-wife
driving clear across the State of Wisconsin from Eau Claire to  Fontana
at the base of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.  It was the summer meeting  of
the Wisconsin Dermatologic Society at The Abbey resort, and we  listened
intently to PBS radio the whole way.

We had no sooner checked into the resort and our rooms, when we
turned on the room TV to learn of the actual resignation.  The  famous
Nixon helicopter wave was the next day.

I started out that drive as a Republican, and ended the day as a  Democrat.

David S.