[Magdalen] Monterey County Floodplain Management Plan.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 14 23:46:22 UTC 2015

>>>Mike, this certainly seems to be a comprehensive survey and report.
Hopefully a further external evaluation will result in an upgrade in CRS
class and hence a reduction in policyholders' premiums.<<<

Our recent retrograde from Class 5 to Class 7 was a result of FEMA quite simply periodically making the rules more and more stringent, so as to progressively limit how much money it allows policyholders to save.  We were relieved we only went to 7, and we don't have the staff anymore to do ALL the additional work required to upgrade.  Class 6 might be possible, but no time soon.

>>>Are ministerial permits cases wheree the guidelines to officials would
indicate refusal of discretionary permission but an elected politician
allows it?<<<

Discretionary permits are permits approved at the "discretion" of a hearing body or administrator.  The Resource Management Agency (read: Planning & Bldg) has three such venues:  County Planning Commission, Zoning Administrator, and Planning Director.  Ministerial permits are those which are ushered through the approval process merely by Planning and Building Services staff.  In my capacity at Water Resources, I review 99% of both discretionary and ministerial permits, with guidance from my lead worker as need be.

>>>I was also surprised that Hurricane Katrina necessitated evacuation so far West.<<<

We scratched our heads about that one too, with me swearing it was either a mistake, or a joke on the part of the original Plan's writer.  Turns out, because Monterey County took part in the provision of emergency housing, we fall under the rather stand-out category you so aptly noticed!