[Magdalen] A 13th century prayer

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 20:43:36 UTC 2015

This hymn/prayer was composed by an Icelandic chieftain around the year
1208, asking for guidance and peace in the face of looming warfare. Times
haven't changed much, have they? (The music was composed in the 1970s.)
Here is a translation, also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4dT8FJ2GE0
Hear, smith of the heavens, what the poet asks. May softly come unto me thy
mercy. So I call on thee, for thou hast created me. I am thy slave, thou
art my Lord. God, I call on thee to heal me. Remember me, mild one,[1] Most
we need thee. Drive out, O king of suns, generous and great, human every
sorrow from the city of the heart. Watch over me, mild one, Most we need
thee, truly every moment in the world of men. send us, son of the virgin,
good causes, all aid is from thee, in my heart. Hear, smith of heavens. The
poet seeketh. In thy still small voice Mayest thou show grace. As I call on
thee, Thou my creator. I am thy servant, Thou art my true Lord. God, I call
on thee; For thee to heal me. Bid me, prince of peace, Thou my supreme
need. Ever I need thee, Generous and great, O’er all human woe, City of thy
heart. Guard me, my savior. Ever I need thee, Through ev’ry moment In this
world so wide. Virgin–born, send me Noble motives now. Aid cometh from
thee, To my deepest heart.