[Magdalen] Fwd: Breaking News Alert: Cancer has spread to brain, Jimmy Ca...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Aug 20 15:21:21 UTC 2015

In a message dated 8/20/2015 11:05:33 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

Obviously, this is a highly personal decision, but
what do you  all think?>>>>>

It is, a highly individual choice, of course, but there is
a modicum of truth in this.

My mother was 98 when she suffered her first heart attack, and a
second attack a day later affected her brain, and she was literally
a raving lunatic who didn't recognize anyone from that point on.

Before I could get home to NW Wisconsin, the cardiologist in
Minneapolis had managed to get her through cardiac catheterization
and she was at the gates of coronary bypass surgery.  This all  for
a 98 year old woman whose brain had been blitzed.

I was able to stop the bypass surgery, and mother blissfully died
after just a couple of days.

So I do feel there is a point where expensive care is not  appropriate.
Medicare apparently agreed, and they refused to pay for her
catheterization.
Luckily, no agreement with the family about funding costs over and  beyond
Medicare coverage had been arranged, and the hospital and  catheterization
team swallowed the cost of this unnecessary procedure.

David Strang.

David Strang.