[Magdalen] Piazza Martin Lutero.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 10:57:38 UTC 2015

In a message dated 8/25/2015 12:22:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

On  September 16, the city will formally name a square on the Viale
Fortunato  Mizzi, a few blocks from the Coliseum, as the Piazza Martin  Lutero.>>>>

I read something that suggested I'm mispronouncing a single "z"
in Italian.

The double "z" is, of course, "tz" as in "pizza".

But the single "z" is "dz" such that the vegetable oil is "Madzola".

There apparently is never a plain "z" sound in Italian as there is
in the English "windows".

Any Italian linguists here to help out?

David Strang.