[Magdalen] A useful approach to the Bible

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Sat Aug 29 18:38:36 UTC 2015

I can't muster that sort of blind faith in Augustine and Aquinas and not even in Bill Wilson, of blessed memory (although I too am happily in recovery, in part through AA, and the Steps and the Serenity Prayer are at my core).

When I read the Bible, I find that an informed understanding only enriches God's message to me.  Hosea and Jeremiah are companions on my journey, not authorities whose every word is of equal importance.  What is divinely inspired? All of it.  But what I read is the human response to divine inspiration -- our forebears' side of the conversation.  And our forebears were shaped by circumstances and understandings that are not necessarily mine.

I have a background in science and history, and I can no more leave those behind than I could be male.  Asking me to privilege Scripture and tradition above reason asks me to assent to the oppression of half of myself.  "Because the Bible said so" is a statement that makes me suspicious, because that statement has been the hammer in the hand of oppression.

Moreover, my mission is to those who stand on the banks of reason and look across with longing to faith.  I'm not prepared to insist on the primacy of tradition and Scripture if they stand between    people and a God.

I'm with Jim on this one.  And I too am a mystic, but I find mystery in Creation.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain