[Magdalen] Irish Eyes.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 19:57:29 UTC 2015

It's been said that accents disappear when singing, which is pretty much
not true, except with classically trained singers. For instance, when Enya,
the Irish singer, sings in English, her Irish accent comes through loud and
clear, especially her complete inability to manage a "th" sound. In some of
her songs, "the" sounds almost like "dey". Scandinavian singers like Sissel
seem to do much better although occasionally something might slip through.
However, if a singer is multilingual, as in the case of a favorite of mine,
the Israeli Achinoam Nini (a.k.a. "Noa"), there doesn't seem to be much
accent showing anywhere. Noa is of  Yemenite Jewish descent, born in
Israel, but spent her early life in New York, and is fluent not only in
Hebrew and English but also Spanish and French as well as Yemeni. I think
she also speaks some Italian and Arabic.