[Magdalen] A useful approach to the Bible

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Aug 29 23:07:58 UTC 2015

On 8/27/15 8:11 AM, ME Michaud wrote:
> Some people think every declarative sentence is prescriptive.
>
> If you're one of them, you probably should stay far away from
> Scripture. It's dangerous for you.
>
> Scripture/prescriptive. Get it?
> -M
>

> On Thursday, August 27, 2015, Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You may have a point, but I don't think that line in the psalm is telling
>> us it's appropriate to smash kids on the rocks. It's expressing extreme
>> hatred for an enemy...not that this is appropriate either. It's part of a
>> story.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Aug 26, 2015, at 10:13 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford <
>> oppenheimerjw at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, when scripture says it is appropriate to smash children's heads on
>> the
>>> rocks, that refutes utterly any claim to divine inspiration.

That particular line comes right after the line that explains it.

It's saying "Give them what they gave us".  Hebrew children had their
heads smashed against rocks.  So the Babylonian children will, and their
parents suffer.  Which is happening right now, 60 miles from Baghdad,
and the current Hebrews have no part in the doing.  Prophecy?  Or
Instruction?  If so, it's the Ishmaelites who are following the
Instruction.  But the line is currently omitted from the American Psalm
reading.  And some of the children are Christian, their mothers
followers of the Hebrew prophet.  I forget, is ISIS Shiite or Sunni?
Whichever, the parents are following the "wrong" Islamic prophet.

Psa 137:7
Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who
said, Rase it, rase [it, even] to the foundation thereof.
Psa 137:8
O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that
rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
Psa 137:9
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the
stones.

Kind of an interesting recount of today's news, but the liberals don't
find it fit to read in church.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net