[Magdalen] A useful approach to the Bible

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 02:06:49 UTC 2015

It's a familiar story. The actual facts might not help tell the story you
want to tell, so you finagle the stuff so that it tells the story you
decided needed to be told in the first place.

They picked and chose stuff to advance the themes the lectionary is
interested in, and lets other stuff slide.

And while it's all very well to talk about how you ca go and read the
missing stuff, very seldom do people do that, and the lectionary clearly is
a concrete, tangible statement, "These texts are important -- those others,
not so much."

I recall reading a priest's comments on this list a while back, where they
essentially said, "I didn't like the readings, but it was the assigned
reading."  I am am not aware of whether it is legally required to use the
lectionary, and I guess that really doesn't matter (since we Episcopalians
routinely set aside customs and traditions and rules we disagree with), but
I think we need to keep in mind that many folks feel bound by the
boundaries of the lectionary, so that's what people in the pews hear, read
and learn.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford