[Magdalen] Please pray for Ascension, Chicago

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 14:09:00 UTC 2015

Thanks for your prayers...we need 'em!

The hard part for me is seeing the divisions among parishioners: those
angry about the rector's staff changes and those not. I've been trying
not to be in one party or another but focused instead on continuing to
do what we're there to do. Those who must see each parishioner as
being in one camp or the other see me as a supporter of the rector,
and that's accurate. Not that I'd support everything a rector could
ever do or say, but I don't see the demon in him that those of the
other camp are seeing. I let him know I'm pro-parish and pro-staff.

I have to say it was refreshing last Sunday to be at St Mary's,
Asheville. Perhaps it has conflicts like many parishes, but they
weren't evident. Perhaps they're not evident to our visitors either
unless they happen to listen to certain folks at coffee hour.
Yesterday I served as subdeacon and helped the priests greet after
Mass, and one guy (who's not necessarily a member of either "camp" but
complains about everything) said he doesn't like Jeffrey Smith's
hymn-playing. I listened for a while and then suggested he chat with
Jeffrey directly about it. Imagine that: talking directly with
someone! I've heard Jeffrey ask for feedback on whether he'd been
playing too loudly; the parishioner he asked sort of blushed and said,
"Yes, a bit too loudly," and guess what: Jeffrey doesn't play as
loudly and the hymns are going very well (I don't "get" the other
parishioner's complaint about hymn pacing and breaths...I've heard
organists elsewhere who don't keep time well and don't allow for
breaths, but not Jeffrey).