[Magdalen] Applebee Project

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 22:45:33 UTC 2015

Also called Project Appleseed. Anybody here ever heard of it?

My son, who is heavily into guns and militia and survivalist stuff mentioned on Saturday that they--presumably he and some of the kids--are going to an Appleseed event next weekend. He said it's an organization that promotes good marksmanship so folks will be able to protect themselves if they need to. The government, after all, is overstepping its authority, and that's only going to get worse.......
Anyway, today I put Appleseed--marksmanship into Google and came up with lots of sites. None of them felt terribly reassuring, except that they are clearly concerned about safety and responsible gun ownership--no alcohol permitted, no loaded guns except when they're on the firing line, etc. But the targets are human-shaped, and the goal is clearly to be able to shoot people.

I was at their house on Saturday for a pig roast, and after dinner a number of the young people present--ages 10 and up, male and female--went across to the next range for target practice. Watching them getting ready in the kitchen with all of the various (unloaded) guns and boxes of ammo was almost more that I could stand. I have no problem with hunting, but I just don't get this gun culture.