[Magdalen] A Sad Anniversary

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 2 22:28:37 UTC 2015

On 02/12/2015 14:13, Jay Weigel wrote:
> That fire made a number of changes to school safety, all of them good. The
> school had been grandfathered into the existing codes by a law stating that
> if they had been in compliance at the time they were built they were in
> compliance. Bad move, obviously, since there were no heavy fire doors and
> only 2 sprinklers.

Improving building codes to improve safety is, obviously, good and
sensible.  However the practicality of doing so can be a major issue,
and far more expensive than if the precautions had been designed in
originally. There are calculations involved in risk reduction which look
at the probability of something happening along with the effect of it
does.  Multiply the two figures together and you get a numeric value for
the risk.  Reducing the risk of fire in a setting has a major effect on
this and the banning of ssmoking in offices and other buildings is a
great help here.

When I was in seminary the Principal was noted as being a smoker who had
lots of paper on the floor of his office.  The one relatively narrow
door to the (upstairs) chapel opened onto a passage passing the door to
his office.  The only alternative was up a spiral staircase and along
another passage above the office.  Fortunately we didn't have an
incident where some glowing ash started paper smouldering which then
caught fir while we were crowded into the chapel.

Roger