[Magdalen] San Bernardino & IS.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sat Dec 5 01:10:49 UTC 2015

On 12/4/15 6:17 PM, Roger Stokes wrote:
> One thing that struck me as strange was that he was apparently settled
> in the USA (I don't know where his parents came from).  He then went to
> Saudi Arabia and married someone he may have met over there.  Was there
> familial pressure on both sides to get married?  I am used to the idea
> of Muslims from this country going back to the area their family came
> from to find a spouse.  I don't think this is a good idea but I am
> familiar with it.  How was the match arranged?

My understanding from news reports is that he was born in the US,
therefore a citizen, of Egyptian immigrant parentage.  I don't know how
much more the news people have found out.  The last things I saw were
that he brought her back from Saudi Arabia after making a trip to the
Middle East, and they had a baby together.  The reports at that time
were divided between "wife" and "fiancee" (euphemism for sleeping
together, though in my day, that didn't happen until the wedding night,
not the engagement).  I sound like a prude, but I don't really have a
problem with people sleeping together, it's a matter of accurate
wording, and "contracted intention to be married" is not equivalent to
sex, or vice versa.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net