[Magdalen] Education.

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Sat Dec 5 21:57:50 UTC 2015

In
what I understand of the US system are the parishioners really going to
tabulate in their tax returns how much they have given to what apeals
during the course of the year and so get tax exemption for them?

Yes, we do. It is helped by the fact that churches (and most other
charities) send / give you some sort of statement of your giving.

In the
UK the system is different as the donations are from taxed income and
the charity claims a refund to bring the donation up to what it
represents before the deduction of basic rate tax.  This adds 25% to the
value of the donation if the donor has signed a Gift Aid declaration.
Are people really going to put name, address, date and sign a number of
envelopes each Sunday?

Episcopal parishes don't have multiple envelopes for multiple causes. The
pledge envelopes are numbered, and the treasurer (or somebody) has a key
which matches numbers to names & addresses. Also, checks (cheques) have your
name & address on them, so there's another way they know who you are. Thus
we've been getting statements from Christ Church, Montpelier, even tho we
haven't pledged (yet).

Chad Wohlers
East Bridgewater, MA USA
chadwohl at satucket.com