[Magdalen] R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 16:00:35 UTC 2015

In a message dated 12/7/2015 10:09:20 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

Jazz  musician Dave Brubeck has died at the age of 91. He is probably most
famous  for his piece "Take Five" and his albums "Time Out" and "Time
Further Out",  at least to those of us of a certain age. He will be a fine
addition to the  heavenly choir.>>>>>>>>>>

It's so refreshing to hear real jazz, not augmented by electronic
devises, of the type you hear on Brubeck recordings.  My  undergraduate
years were when jazz was king of popular music, and I actually liked  it
all.

I did have a roommate my sophomore year who had what I think was
a Brubeck recording entitled something like "Battle of the Drums"
which he had rigged up to his clock-radio.  This was his wakeup  call
and despite the talents of Joe Morello, I didn't want to hear him at
6 AM.

David Strang.......Who again heard someone refer to the "death of  music"
about 1977.