[Magdalen] R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Dec 7 18:28:00 UTC 2015

On 12/7/15 10:13 AM, Jay Weigel wrote:
> Sorry about that. Please ignore. It came across my Facebook feed and I
> failed to note the date.
>
> Jay, red-faced

I didn't know that he had passed, whenever it was.  Thank you, Jay.

I was "Assistant Director" (aka Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, Prop
Person, and Gofer) for a one-night performance of TS Eliot's "The
Cocktail Party" given at KU, by Drama Department students who just got
together and wanted to do it.  We used my LP of "Take 5" for something
resembling an overture or incidental music (and, among other things, I
was the "deejay" for that, presiding at the tone arm).  The date it was
to be given was November 22, 1963, and we all know what happened that
afternoon.  There was much discussion on whether we should cancel, and
the decision was eventually "The Show Must Go On", so we did it, to a
very small audience.  Actually, connections could be made that it was
apropos.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net