[Magdalen] R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 19:22:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 1:01 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford
<oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would years after that before, exposed to early music, I found that in
> many cultures five- and seven-beat measures are more the norm than the
> exception.  And as you can hear in Take Five, the rhythm brings a new sense
> of flexibility to music.

At Michigan State, when I marched in the Spartan Marching Band for one
season (I needed to attend to my studies after that), the marvelously
complex and impressive set of percussion cadences by which we marched
to the football stadium contained a section in 5/4 time. I thought
that was ultra cool and still do. The Series sometimes accompanies me
in my head to help me march somewhere in the city (especially a boring
walk from the subway to the office or something).

https://youtu.be/bBGaDuNgIJ4

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA