[Magdalen] R.I.P. Dave Brubeck

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 05:09:43 UTC 2015

Five - Four was popular in the late nineteenth century.  Tchaikovsky uses
it beautifully in the second movement of his Symphony no. 6, "the
Pathetique."

Here's an arrangement for cello and keyboard:

http://tinyurl.com/nr37f9h

All of these funky time signatures are generally compound -- that is the
5/4 music is actually in regularly repeating 3/4 + 2/4.  7/4 is generally
2/4 + 2/4 + 3/4 or some other constantly repeated pattern.  It is highly
hypnotic, as is the case with the Tchaikovsky. I didn't believe it the
first time someone pointed out, "It's in 5/4 time, you know." Then, as I
mentally stepped through the music, I realized he was right. "One - two -
three  One - two, One - two - three  One - two" etc.  So elegantly crafted
I never saw that it was a compound time signature...

And even though they go much faster -- and generally follow some specific
dance moves -- ethnic music works pretty much the same way. When
you've grown up with it, it's second nature, sort of like pulling those
beats out of line in a certain way while doing the tango.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford