[Magdalen] Exorcism

Ian Gomersall ian.gomersall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 21:40:10 UTC 2015

One of my concerns which is referred to in the blog post:
http://wp.me/ptISx-1ze is that whilst I have great hesitations, similar to
those expressed here, about devils etc. my experience is that belief in
them is not uncommon, particulalrly on the fringe of churches and beyond
the church. I understand a similar feature is found in parts of Islam.

The concern is that enlightened liberal westeners(!) haven't at hand the
vocabulary of faith to communicate easily with those who speak of evil
presences etc. I am told that research suggests a greater 'folk' belief in
such things than one may think, and a hesitation in speaking to 'religious
practioners' or indeed any other people about encounters with what are
perceived as evil forces. This, I am suggesting, is because once the church
inhabitated the same place as the everyday person when talking about evil
forces and good forces whereas now many churches have marginalised exorcism
and talk about forces of evil. This has led to a separation from many
peoples feelings and experiences.

So part of my concern isn't so much about whether or not I believe in
demons or whatever, but more that the language of prayer and liturgy and
indeed pastoral care found in the church of today in many places doesn't
always articultae the real experience of some people in this area.

I admit this is early days of thinking on this...

Ian

*Ian Gomersall*