[Magdalen] Peanut Brittle.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Dec 12 18:45:14 UTC 2015

A senior member of the clinic where I worked for nearly 20 years in
West Central Wisconsin made his own peanut brittle this time of the  year,
and hand delivered it in little boxes to his friends as his Christmas  gift.

This gave him time to chat, however briefly, with his gift  recipients.  It
was something we looked forward to each year.  The peanut brittle  was
the best I've ever had.

He also influenced me in some non-clinical ways.  His home was  painted
a dark brown, and shielded from his busy street by several rows of fir  and
spruce trees he had planted, such that his property was quite  private.

I painted my home dark brown, and planted the same conifer shield
in Wisconsin, and did the same when I moved here to Pennsylvania.
I'm on a busy street, but well protected from the traffic by the  trees.

In addition he was very generous with his cabin overlooking the
Chequamegan Bay of Lake Superior.  The cabin was perched
on a red sandstone cliff about 75' above the water, and there was
a stairway down the cliff-side to the water.  There was even a  small
red sand beach.  Because it was the bay, we could actually swim  in
Lake Superior.  There were even lights from two light houses on
the Apostle Islands (National Lakeshore) to entertain us.

A la reserche du temps perdu.

David Strang.