[Magdalen] Syrian refugees

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 07:47:31 UTC 2015

I remember when the idea of Ronald Reagan, B-movie actor, being governor.
Everybody laughed.  In one of the Flint movies, there's a line where James
Coburn says, "An ACTOR as president..." And the audience roared with
laughter. And look what happened to the country after that.

I recall the tentative feelers being put out about this guy nobody really
knew, the son of President Bush. The general feeling was that this
flyweight would never have a ghost of a chance of getting into a serious
primary, let alone being a candidate.  And look what happened to the
country after that.

Nah, this guy should make us all very nervous. Not that anybody should say
how awful a candidate he is; that's what might propel his election, much
like the folks resolved to vote for Shrub just because in the debates, Al
Gore sighed whenever Shrub said something incredibly dumb (which was fairly
frequent). Those sighs lost the election. Criticizing a really awful
candidate can get him elected.

Hmm. Maybe the conservatives are right. Maybe we need to put a stop to this
business of letting citizens actually vote on who gets to ruin -- er, I
mean run -- the country.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford