[Magdalen] right to bear arms

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 14 14:17:26 UTC 2015

From: Sibyl Smirl

>A Right is not the same thing as permission.  A Right is inalienable. And
>that's what's in the constitution.  The permission to own people is not stated
>as a Right in the Constitution.

Let's be charitable about this: I suspect you're looking at one of those revised
versions that have sections excised that were subsequently changed by
Constitutional Amendment.

We had one of these in my 8th Grade Social Studies Class. I was already familiar
with the full version, and held the teacher's feet to the fire when he claimed
those sections didn’t exist "because they weren't in the textbook." I made sure
other students were aware of this by passing around the deleted sections. The
teacher was not happy when others started asking about the 3/5th compromise [
and fugitive slaves and the rest.

The sections that refer to slavery have already been enumerated here in detail,
and things like fugitive slave laws being upheld as Constitutional indicate that
people **at the time** disagree with you Sib is telling, I think.

Cheers,
Jim