[Magdalen] Advent and Christmas

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Dec 17 01:26:25 UTC 2015

Suzanne will be coming to Scranton on the 27th to meet with our new PIC at St
Luke's to discuss "eventualities" with us.  I refused her Advent harangue last
year because I was not going to discuss this with a plethora of supply priests
<g>. I think I have most things under control (will, living will/advance
Directive/instructions for banking and investments, passwords, organizations to
donate to coal and railroad collections and hospice plans as needed and when
needed. My overall health is currently pretty good. I feel fine, and  all my
blood work is normal and so far the CT-Scans indicate tumors the same or
smaller -- and they are all less than 2 cm. But I do have to make sure Albert is
taken care of so that's a big part of the meeting. My oncologist says the
outcome might be another 4 years -- and in rare cases longer. I'm planning on
longer -- maybe breaking a record at this point.

In the meantime, I found a cheap rate $129, including tax (cheap for Midtown
Manhattan <g>) for Christmas Eve. For the past dozen years, Albert and I have
gone to St Bartholomew's for Christmas Day and Easter Day, meeting up with Toni,
the former Treasurer of Christ Church Bay Ridge, She succeeded me, and quit in a
(n understandable, I think) huff when the Senior Warden wrote a check for
$13,000 (to pay the down payment on a new Rectory) without telling her or even
getting a Vestry vote.

In any case, she has a family obligation on Christmas this year, so Albert and I
agreed to go to Trinity Wall Street for Midnight Mass (Concert begins at 10 PM
so we'll get there by 9 to get decent seats).  She's much better than she used
to be on this -- one year at St Bart's she didn’t get there until 10:45 for an
11 AM service, and we ended up sitting on an elevated wooden platform that was
built for cameras for Walter Cronkite's funeral.

We've also done Christmas and Easter Dinners together but that seems to be out
this year. There's a nice steakhouse on 8th Avenue that I like that I know is
open Christmas; Toni prefers Ruth's Cris. The restaurant in St Bart's former
parish hall has been closed both Christmas and Easter, un fortunately.

Additional possibilities might be the afternoon service at St Paul's Chapel --I
always liked their Good Friday service, though the Christmas afternoon service
seems to be geared to Kids, so maybe not so edifying <g>. Then there's 4 PM
Lessons and Carols at St Thomas Fifth Avenue and a 4:30 PM Concert and Sung Mass
at St Mary the Virgin,  We'll probably go to St Thomas so I can get my required
dose of M&B Choir <g>.

Malcolm's Mass at the Crib is scheduled for both TWS and St Bart's, so I’ll get
my dose of that properly (Christmas isn’t Christmas without it for me). And St
Bart's will give me a goodly dose IDE-O-O-O, too.

Cheers,
Jim

"The enemy isn’t liberalism;
the enemy isn’t conservatism.
The enemy, is baloney." - Lars Erik Nelson