[Magdalen] Some Christmas music

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 05:02:50 UTC 2015

Some of our Christmas album is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0EZ3AXYsUY
Hodie Christus Natus est -- by Jan Peeterson Sweelinck
A wonderful setting ! ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzilTe_A7M4
This is a Josquin "Ave Maria". It is built of canonic material, but at the
end it suddenly goes into a very simple, unpretentious homophonic style:
"O Mater Dei!
memento mei!
Amen."

[O Mother of God!
Remember me!
Amen.]

I always tear up when I hear that. I am sure it is the great Josquin, in
full consciousness of his mortality, at last putting aside all pretense,
calling out to the Blessed Virgin for Her mercy.

If you want to look further, go to youtube and input the search parameters

christus natus est "kairos a consort"

(exactly as here)

The clips seem to have been put up automatically by some search engine.
Unfortunately they have not been gathered into a folder, and the full info
is lacking, but the music is sublime if I do say myself, which I do.

I can say that because this year I felt it was time for me to leave and
make room for a new singer.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford