[Magdalen] Crazy Sunday schedule

Michael Bishop rev at michaelbishop.name
Tue Dec 22 17:44:10 UTC 2015

I have for 19 years been incumbent ofa group of 8 parishes. I have an
associate priest on two Sundays per month and churchwardens lead morning
prayer thre times perm month.
The normal pattern of services is:
First Sunday of the month
8am HC (said) - Church Broughton *
9.30am Mattins  - Boylestone (churchwarden)
11.00am HC - Sutton (retired priest or me)
11.15am HC (me or Retired priest) - Longford
11.00am Mattins - Trusley (Churchwarden)
3.00p.m. Evensong - Dalbury *
7.00p.m. Evensong - Long Lane *

Second Sunday of the month
8.30am HC (said) - Long Lane *
9.30a. HC - Church Broughton *
11.00am HC - Radbourne *
11.00a.m. Mattins - Sutton (churchwarden)
11.00am HC - Trusley *
5.00pm HC - Boylestone *
6.30p.m. Evensong - Longford*

Third Sunday of the month
8.00a.m. HC (said) Sutton *
9.30a.m. HC Church Broughton (associate priest)
9.30am Mattins  - Boylestone (churchwarden)
10.00am Informal Family Service - Longford *
11.00a.m. HC Dalbury *
12noon HC Trusley (said) *
2.30p.m. (winter) or 7.00p.m. (summer) Evensong - Long Lane

Fourth Sunday of the month
8.00a.m. HC (said) Church Broughton *
9.30a.m. HC (said) - Longford (associate priest)
9.30a.m. HC - Boylestone *
11.00a.m. HC - Long Lane (associate priest)
11.00a.m. Informal Family Service - Sutton *
3.00p.m. (winter) 6.30p.m. (summer) - Evensong - Radbourne *
6.45p.m. Evensong - Trusley * in winter - churchwarden in summer

Fifth Sunday of the month
10.30am United service for all 8 parishes and 2 local Methodist churches
- HC * if in an Anglican church or  Methodist morning service if in
Methodist church - the host officiates and the visiting minister preaches
If the service has been in the Methodist church, then there is said HC*
in one of the parish churches at 6.30p.m.

Services marked with * are normally taken by me

This programme of services works for me - and after most services I have
time to stop and chate with the congregation. All congregations are
aware that there could be a late start if I am delayed, but this rarely
happens. Some of the congregations are very small - to be expected as
our population is small.
Christmas can get hectic! I have led 6 parish carol services so far and
have a 7th this evening. My associate priest has led one. I have also
been involved in 8 nativity play performances (5 for our 3 church
schools) together with 2 school carol services. Then I will officate at
a 5p.m. informal Crib Service and 10pm HC & 11.30pm HC on Christmas Eve
and 9.45am HC & 11a.m. HC on Christmas Day. Others will officiate at
other 10p.m. & 11.30p.m. HC on Christmas Eve and 10.15am HC on Christmas
Day.

I know that there will be a need to make adjustments to this schedule
before I retire in about 18 months time but I have been very happy with
it. No doubt if I had a wife and/or children I would see things
differently. I do feel it to a great privilege to minister to all these
small communities. The 8 churches spread over an area about 10 miles
diameter. 6 of the churches are at least partly medieval, one  was
totally rebuilt 300 years ago and one built from scratch just over 125
years ago. The tiniest congregation  (All Saints', Dalbury) can proudly
claim the distinction of having in its church the oldest panel of
stained glass anywhere in Britain (dating from the early 12th or late
11th century).

God bless

Michael Bishop
rev at michaelbishop.name

Rector of St John the Baptist, Boylestone; St Michael & All Anghels, Church Broughton; All Saints, Dalbury; St Chad, Longford; Christ Church, Long Lane;
St Michael, Sutton-on-the-Hill; All Saints', Trusley

Diocese of Derby, England