[Magdalen] Saline.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 24 17:25:52 UTC 2015

>>>Sterile saline solution (aka "normal saline" to us oldies) is of the same
concentration as bodily fluid. The purpose of the saline gauze is to keep
things moist, as it has been found that wounds heal better in a moist
environment than they do in a dry one, contrary to old popular wisdom,
which said to let things dry out and scab over. Your saline gauze will also
keep the sterile pad from sticking to the wound, which could pry new
healthy baby skin cells loose.<<<

Ideally (hopefully, that is, I think), there should also be an ointment of sorts involved between wound and saline'd gauze, because Tuesday's first dressing did not involve the special ointment that only the next morning I'd pick up at the pharmacy (the LARGEST co-pay of my LIFE), and 24 hours is more than enough time for that saline'd gauze to go dry and start sucking up, guess what?  Taking it off last night for my own first dressing was hardly an ordeal, but it was definitely something I did in phases.

As for how it "used to be done", I have a story.  My mother.  Six years old.  1934.  Standing too close to the fireplace.  Nightgown catches on fire.  Third-degree burn on thigh.  Weeks, maybe months, of dry bandage application and -- REMOVAL.  She says she would scream "to high heaven" whenever the doctor would come to visit.  To this day she has the thigh to prove it.